A Credit by Exam (CBE) test for CS 1428, Foundations of Computer Science I, is available through the Department of Computer Science. The exam will test a student's programming skills in C++ language, and the specific topics covered in CS1428.
- Variables, Operators, Data Types (including string)
- Input/Output (including File I/O)
The CBE will be given in the fall and the spring semesters before the start of classes.
A student can take the CS 1428 Credit by Exam only one time. If the student fails the exam, the student will be required to take the CS 1428 course. A student who already has earned credit for or received a grade in the CS 1428 course cannot take the CS 1428 CBE test.
Student must register to take the exam and pay the testing fee at least one week prior to the exam date.
To register for the exam:
- Complete the exam registration form.
- Email the form to the CS academic advisor for approval to register for the exam.
- The academic advisor will email the form back to the student, noting if the student is approved to take the exam.
- The student will take the form to the University Testing, Research Support, and Evaluation Center and pay the $100 testing fee.
Information about the next CS 1428 Credit by Exam is given below:
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Time: Start time is no later than 2:30 p.m. (see university testing center webpage)
Testing center office: Commons Hall, Ground Floor (Select floor 1 if using the elevator).
Follow this link for a sample of the CS 1428 Credit by Exam questions.
A student who takes the CS 1428 Credit by Exam will be notified by the academic advisor, via the student's Texas State email address, if the student earned credit on the exam.