Brookhaven National Laboratories is having a 2022 winter mini-semester to help women and underrepresented communities in STEM. Selected students will participate in a 5-day program where you will be introduced to the science being done at BNL. The program will be conducted by BNL researchers to help students understand different careers. You will be able to develop connections with the BNL community and laboratory administrators. The program format will include orientation, classroom instruction in scientific computing, tours of research facilities, BNL based literature research assignments, interviews with scientists and engineers, group oral presentations, scientific lectures, and safety overviews. Firsthand reinforcement of concepts learned will be supported and enhanced by BNL researchers and technical staff. Students accepted into the 2022 Mini-Semester will be required to complete a WDTS DOE internship application for summer 2022.
Dates and times:
The seminar will be held on January 03-07 2021. Each day will operate from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The program is planned to being held on-site, but due to COVID-19 restrictions, it may become virtual. Housing, travel reservations, and lunch will be provided to the selected students. Only 45 students will be selected.
- Must be a woman or part of an underrepresented minority group (DEO defines underrepresented minorities as Hispanics, African Americans, and Indigenous people)
- Must be a legal citizen or a legal permanent resident
- Enrolled in a full-time college or university
- Majoring in a STEM discipline
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Fill out the following application. https://surveys.external.bnl.gov/n/WDTSMiniSemesterApplication.aspx
- Complete an essay identifying three (3) BNL scientists, their research areas, and why you are interested in those scientists and research areas.
- Provide a faculty recommendation. Upon completion of the application, you will receive a unique link that you will then forward to your selected faculty recommender. Only one recommendation is needed.
- Students that are accepted into the program will then have to complete additional OEP requirements (such as completing the 2022 DOE summer internship application) as directed. Students that do not complete all OEP requirements on time will be disqualified from the program.
Application Deadline: November 19, 2021
Deadline: Nov. 19, 2021, midnight